From small everyday decisions to major upheavals, life is full of possibilities. So how do you know what’s right and wrong for you? How can you tell the difference between a good and a bad choice?
Good and bad choices, what’s the difference?
The right choice will give us what we want and more. On the other hand, the wrong choice will only cause us problems. And yet, making a decision isn’t so easy. Was the right choice a complete guarantee of success from the beginning? Did the wrong one seem to be the worst thing ever?
We all make choices that seem good at first, but sometimes they turn out to be catastrophic. There are no right or wrong choices, just different paths, but some behaviors can push you in the wrong direction.
> Read up on how to find your purpose in life <
Why do I always make all the wrong choices?
- You act too quickly: Making decisions on a whim is never a good solution. Think about the consequences of your actions.
- You are the type of person who wants to control everything: And sometimes to stay in control, you make the opposite decision to what you should have done.
- You make decisions alone: Accept help from your friends if you have to make a difficult decision. It will allow you to see things from a different perspective.
- You don’t listen to yourself enough: Intuition is a great ally when it comes to making important decisions. Trust in yourself.
- You’re scared of failing: It’s well known that fear doesn’t avoid danger! But as the saying goes: “Better to regret the things you’ve done rather than those you haven’t.” So, it’s time to overcome your fear and go for it!
- You don’t want to leave your comfort zone: By deciding to step out of your comfort zone and change your habits, you will learn a lot about yourself, and you’ll be pleasantly surprised!
>>> Discover whether not having ambition is problematic
How do I stop making the wrong decisions?
1. Weigh up the pros and cons
A choice is always between two options. Don’t hesitate to analyze the consequences of your future decision. When I have to make a decision, I make a list of all the advantages and only the advantages. Do this too, and you’ll see just how much you can gain.
2. Take your time
Ask yourself, for example, why you say yes or no in the first place. Don’t try to control everything, be curious and leave room for surprises. Listen to your instincts, too. They are the messenger of your subconscious, and they’re often right!
3. Be aware of your actions
It’s imperative to be aware of your choices. This way, you won’t regret them. Don’t hesitate to refocus on the objectives you fixed, this will increase your chances of success.
4. Question yourself
Look back at past decisions and choices made whose consequences you regret, and reflect: “Why did I make this choice rather than another one?” However, avoid speculating with “what ifs”, which are very bad for your morale.
Editor’s note: Accept that there’s no such thing as a perfect decision
Making an important decision is particularly stressful, and each one has its own advantages and disadvantages. Even more so if it’s an emotional or moral choice because feelings come first, as Jonathan Haidt, psychologist at the University of Virginia, explains: “When it comes to making ethical decisions, we don’t base them on rationality, but on our passions instead.”
🤗 Understand yourself, accept yourself, be happy... Let’s do it here and now!
More interesting articles: