Today, 32% of people are still in contact with one or more of their exes. Yes, you’ve no doubt already heard of the term sex friends or friends with benefits, but have you heard of "ex friends"?! In love no two situations are the same, which is why we’ve listed the pros and cons of friendship between exes. Now it's up to you to make the right choice based on your own situation!
>>> Check out: Help, I'm way too nice
What are the pros and cons of becoming friends with your ex partner?
Why you ought to remain cordial with an old flame:
- If you have children together, maintaining a good relationship with your ex can be essential; hence being friends is a step you are free to make!
- It's always nice to have someone around who knows you well and with whom you share common memories. Just like any friend would...
- Staying friends could help fill a void and give you the impression that you aren’t completely separating. Although, there is a good chance that once the void is filled, you will surely lose sight of yourself.
Reasons to throw your ex out of your life:
- You might want to avoid striking up a friendship with them if you plan on dating anytime soon. Dragging a bunch of exes behind you is not very reassuring for a potential suitor.
- Because it allows you to get over the break-up and to be realistic about your single status so that you don't get stuck in the past.
- Why would a failed relationship ever turn into a successful friendship? Whatever the reasons for a break-up, it is hard to imagine that what didn't work in a relationship could work in a friendly relationship.
- Because being in love with your friend is not a good idea. After a break-up you can feel sad, angry and even still be in love. Staying friends with someone you still love is like being in love with a friend, and that almost never ends well.
Editor's note: This situation should never make you suffer...
Moving from a loving relationship to a friendly one is a step that you can, of course, decide to take, as long as the relationship is fulfilling. If you're in pain or expect too much from your ex, then it's best to cut the ties for both of you. In any case, becoming friends with your ex is absolutely not a solution to get over a break-up, in which case you should start with therapy.
We think you might enjoy these articles: