Should You Stay Friends With Your Ex?At a time when people’s love lives are multiplying by the second, we sometimes find ourselves with exes that we don’t really know what to do with. For some this situation is a source of intense awkwardness, whereas for others prefer to remain in contact and even go on to become good friends. Should we totally cut contact or keep them in other lives? What should we do with our exes?
Today, 32% of people are still in contact with one or more of their exes. Yes, you’ve no doubt already heard of the term sex friends or friends with benefits, but have you heard of "ex friends"?! But the question is, is it really possible to stay friends after sex? In love no two situations are the same, which is why we’ve listed the pros and cons of friendship between exes. Now it's up to you to make the right choice!
Staying friends with your ex: The pros and cons
Why stay friends with your ex?
- If you have children together, maintaining a good relationship with your ex can be essential; hence being friends is a step you are free to make!
- It's always nice to have someone around who knows you well and with whom you share common memories. Just like any friend would...
- Staying friends could help fill a void and give you the impression that you aren’t completely separating. Although, there is a good chance that once the void is filled, you will surely lose sight of yourself.
Reasons not to become friends with an ex
- You might want to avoid striking up a friendship with them if you plan on dating anytime soon. Dragging a bunch of exes behind you is not very reassuring for a potential suitor.
- Because it allows you to get over the break-up and to be realistic about your single status so that you don't get stuck in the past.
- Why would a failed relationship ever turn into a successful friendship? Whatever the reasons for a break-up, it is hard to imagine that what didn't work in a relationship could work in a friendly relationship.
- Because being in love with your friend is not a good idea. After a break-up you can feel sad, angry and even still be in love. Staying friends with someone you still love is like being in love with a friend, and that almost never ends well.
Editor's note: This situation should never make you suffer...
Moving from a loving relationship to a friendly one is a step that you can, of course, decide to take, as long as the relationship is fulfilling. If you're in pain or expect too much from your ex, then it's best to cut the ties for both of you. In any case, becoming friends with your ex is absolutely not a solution to get over a break-up, in which case you should start with therapy.
We think you might enjoy these articles: