What is bipolar?
🧠 Before anything else, it's important to remind you what bipolar is. It is a psychological illness that corresponds to a mood disorder. The person affected can have manic or depressive episodes.
- The manic episode: is characterized by hyperactivity, euphoria, ideas of grandeur, etc.
- The depressive episode: on the other hand, it is characterized by a loss of pleasure or interest with low self-esteem and strong depressive symptoms.
Emotional instability has consequences on relationships, and on couple relationships. It is complicated to have a relationship with someone who experiences such drastic mood changes. So how do you do it?
👉 To learn more about the disorder itself, read; >>> How to act around someone with bipolar?
Bipolarity people in relationships: Are they compatible with love?
Bipolar and love can seem complicated to connect, because of the two mood phases, which are diametrically opposed. It's hard enough to build a healthy relationship when both people are in a stable psychological state. The balance of the couple can therefore be very fragile because of this psychological illness.
If you have bipolar disorder
If you know that you have bipolar disorder, it means that you have already been consulted and that your psychological illness has been detected and treated. It is possible that you have already had relationships while being aware of your bipolarity. It is, therefore, necessary to draw on experiences to learn from them and to see the problems encountered so as not to reproduce them. This avoids the fear of a new relationship.
However, it is sometimes difficult to do this work alone, so don't hesitate to surround yourself with people. In addition, there are more accessible things that the person can do for our relationship, including communication. Indeed, it is already very important in all relationships, but here there is even more at stake. We need to communicate with our partner (or partners) by explaining bipolar disorder: what it feels like to change moods, how we manage that change, our monitoring, etc.
If the person you love has bipolar disorder
If, on the other hand, you live with someone with bipolar, it can be difficult for you because you don't know when your mood will be affected. To that end, here are the key behaviors to have with the person you love:
- Educate yourself: you need to be as educated as possible about this illness to understand what your partner is dealing with.
- Ask questions: to find out what he or she is feeling during mood swings and how to help them manage.
- Be patient: it can be frustrating when the relationship doesn't work out the way you want it to because of the illness. But don't be guilt-ridden in any way!
- Show support: by helping your partner with his or her treatment and monitoring of the disease.
- Take care of yourself: you should not neglect yourself and also know how to take time for yourself.
➜ Bipolar people can have harmonious relationships. Simply, we need to be aware of both sides of the obstacles that will come our way. Facing the storms together is the best way to strengthen each other.
Bipolar and love: What to expect?
Bipolarity is not a barrier to love, far from it, especially when you are stabilized, but you should be careful about the manic phase. The euphoria and positivity of this phase do not help in the management of hypersensitivity and feelings. So there may be instability if the bipolar person has a crush during the manic episode. Having a relationship with someone with bipolar disorder can be complicated for these reasons.
💊 Nevertheless, if the disorder is controlled (through treatment and monitoring), the person is emotionally stable. Note, however, that finding the right treatment can take time.
Bipolar in relationships
When you've never had a person with bipolar in your life or know little about the illness, you always wonder what to expect. It is important to anticipate in order to be able to provide the best possible support, and to do this you need to be aware of the following needs:
- Waiting to be ready: Sometimes the best you can do is to give the bipolar person the time he or she needs. Bipolar and love cannot be rushed.
- Have stability: It is essential for a person with bipolar to have reassurance and stability to better manage their illness.
- Hearing and saying that you love each other: Reassurance of love helps to strengthen the relationship despite the challenges of bipolar.
- Be aware of strong emotions: During a manic episode, the bipolar person's emotions will increase tenfold.
The important thing is to listen to each other, understand each other, and be present. However, sometimes the illness takes up too much space in the relationship, so it is important to go into couple therapy if you feel that it is necessary. In addition, the person with bipolar disorder should not neglect his or her treatment and follow up with a professional, so that he or she can be accompanied as best as possible. It is not impossible to have a relationship with a bipolar person, but patience and stability are needed.
The editor's opinion: The importance of follow-up
With the right treatment and follow-up, it is quite possible to stabilize moods. If you are in a relationship with a bipolar person, don't hesitate to meet with his or her psychologist to ask all the questions that come to mind. This will help you adopt the right behavior and avoid certain mistakes.
🤗 Understand yourself, accept yourself, be happy... It's here and now!
Be sure to check out these articles too;